The Mosfell Archaeological Project is conducted in a collaborative, international way under the direction of Prof. Jesse L. Byock of the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
This international group works in close collaboration with members of the local town of Mosfellsbær as well as with The National Museum of Iceland, University of Iceland, and other Icelandic and international researchers. Our Leirvogur Harbour Research Project is conducted in cooperation with ZBSA, please visit our Harbour Project homepage for more information.
We have received valuable logistic and financial support from our Universities, The Icelandic Centre for Research – RANNIS, The Arcadia Foundation, The German Research Foundation (DFG), The Icelandic Ministry of Science, Culture and Education, The Norwegian Ministry of Culture, The U.S. Embassy in Iceland, The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF), John Simon Guggenheim Foundation, the Fulbright Foundation, Centre for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology (ZBSA), Icelandair, The Icelandic Aeronautical Institute, Norvik, Landsvirkjun and the town of Mosfellsbær.
- Prof. Jesse L. Byock, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Davide Zori, Field Director, University of California Los Angeles
- Sigrid Cecilie Juel Hansen, Projects Manager, University of Iceland
- Prof. Per Holck, MD, University of Oslo
- Prof. Jon Erlandson, University of Oregon
- Magnús Sigurgeirsson, Geologist, Iceland
- Prof. Helgi Þorláksson, University of Iceland
- Dr. Egill Erlendsson, University of Iceland
- Dr. Sven Kalmring, Centre for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology (ZBSA)
- Prof. Vaughan Grimes, Memorial University
- Dr. Alan Miller, St. Andrews University
- Bjarki Bjarnason, Researcher, Iceland
- Magnús Guðmundsson, University of Iceland
- Prof. Jacqueline Eng, Western Michigan University
- Dr. Rhonda Bathurst, University of Western Ontario
- Prof. Karen Milek, University of Aberdeen
- Elín Hreiđarsdóttir, Institute of Archaeology, Iceland
- Dr. Steve Martin, UCLA
- Prof. David Scott, UCLA
- Max Farrar, Surveyor and Mapmaker
- Stanislav Parfenov, GIS Professional
- Guđrún Jóna þráinsdóttir, University of Iceland
- Margrét Hallmundsdóttir, Árnessýsla Folk Museum
- Grétar Markússon, Architect
- Stefán Örn Stefánsson, Architect
- Prof. Robert Wayne, UCLA
- Prof. Kevin Edwards, University of Aberdeen
Phillip Walker, Per Holck, and Jacqueline Eng examing skeletal material from Hrísbrú.
Photographing the church excavations at Hrísbrú.
Excavating the churchyard at Hrísbrú.